Tuesday 15 October 2013

October 8th 2013








Wow general conference was amazing right? It was busy for us sisters with a 7:30 am start Saturday and Sunday and a 930 pm finish each night but man was it worth it! My favorite highlights from watching the Saturday morning session was: Elder Bednar's talk on tithing:

"Sometimes we may ask God for success, and He gives us physical and mental stamina. We might plead for prosperity, and we receive enlarged perspective and increased patience, or we petition for growth and are blessed with the gift of grace. He may bestow upon us conviction and confidence as we strive to achieve worthy goals. And when we plead for relief from physical, mental, and spiritual difficulties, He may increase our resolve and resilience..." 
The best part is when he throws down (in a Christ like way) and invites the world to repent:

 " [Tithing is] Not just a duty but an important step in the process of personal sanctification. For those who are obeying this commandment I comment you... those who are presently not obeying I invite you to consider your ways and repent... The windows of heaven will be opened to you... please do not procrastinate the day of your repentance."
The other talk that pricked my heart was by Elder Edward Dube (of the 70). His words inspired me not that I am reaching the half way mark of my mission and can help many others I believe in any stage of their lives:

"As a boy working in the field with my mother....we had been working for along time...I stopped to look at what we had accomplished and said to my mother look at what we have done! She did not reply finally she turned to me and said 'Edward, never look back look at what we still have to do.'....To be a disciple of Christ (baptized) is a life long commitment."

I announced and messed up so badly but i did manage to say "hi there! my name is Sister Nelson your neighbor from Canada! as a missionary and a member of the church I have felt the peace and joy that comes from the gospel of Jesus Christ. Although I am large in stature and may be intimidating i would love to help you with your missionary work! thank you." It was fun but i don't know if I like that many people staring at me...as I mess up haha.
It was great to see some friends too! (Katie and Dan Baradoy, Laura Dunford, Carlos Rojos, Heidi Halsted, Tyler Henry, Tanner Hopkins, Kent Harker, Sister Simpson & Sister Garner, David and Peter Blomfield, President Craig, any Canadians! and many more!)
My favorite part was uplifting members on the square and in the beehive house (we covered for 3 hrs.) One member in particular I will never forget. This brother was sitting outside of the Assembly Hall during Priesthood session. As we casually talked with him he told us he was a recent convert and from what we sensed with the help of the spirit he was struggling with  understanding and applying the gospel of Jesus Christ and his marriage. We invited him to read Sister Stephens talk from the Saturday morning Session. It is about the important role of men and women and how working together to keep our covenants is the way to attain salvation and true happiness. He seemed a little shocked and than explained how him and his wife were having  problems with seeing eye to eye and struggling. We than promised him as he did this and followed the gospel of Jesus Christ with his wife they would be able to be happy again. Heavenly Father really does place people in our paths and guides us in what to do to help them. In that moment through really listening and discerning through the spirit we were given the words what to say, just like in D&C 100:6. 


 Love you all!
CTR 
Sister Vicbic Nelson
  

Hadley made and gave me her art work of 
President Eyring talking in General Conference
 it will be worth big bucks some day!



                    Elder Skanchy


Sister Takahashi so pretty!












Sister Gee and Mee





                           






 A most scrumptious present left on my bed you even could call it precious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.